Tuesday, August 30, 2011

In The Dark

Could something like a hurricane affect Vince’s Diabetes? Maybe, maybe not. It would have depended if Diabetes decided to cooperate. So did it with Hurricane Irene? Yes and No. Never a straight answer with Diabetes, is it?
 
When the worst of the storm was over, on Sunday, Vince was sore, but all in all his pain faired pretty well, considering all of the rain. Our power went out that morning at 9:30AM, so he just rested and slept off and on most of the day. Sunday was a site and sensor change day, so early in the evening, before it got dark, we changed his site and put on a new sensor with plenty of time to calibrate before the sun went down. At this point, his sugar was hovering around 80 and his sensor was not working due to the site change. I had to leave to transfer our food to his Mom’s refrigerator in hopes of saving it, so before I left, I made sure he was sipping some regular sweetened tea and we decided to try to get the sensor to work when I got home, giving it about another hour to set. Apparently, I picked a bad spot on his stomach because it was still not working when I got back. About 2 hours later (total) we decided to start all over. By this point it was dark. After eating by candle light and flash light, we got out a new sensor and I carefully took off the old one and put on the new. About 15 minutes later, it was ready to go. By this point it was around 8:30PM and with no power, Vince was not going to stay up late. Knowing the sensor was going to wake us up in about 2 hours, we took the flash light and the candle/lighter (just in case we needed it) and headed to bed. Around 11:30PM we were awoken by the power coming back on. I then fell asleep and woke up at 1:30AM and found Vince was not in bed. I found him in the living room drinking some soda. He said he went low. I made sure his sensor was up and running and I went back to bed. In the morning, I tested him before leaving and a 90 came on the screen. Not too bad considering we did all the site changes and soda sipping in the dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment