Friday, January 18, 2013

Old Language Vs New

"Technical Terms"
Insulin Dependent Diabetes
Juvenile Diabetes
Type 1 Diabetes
Type 2 Diabetes
Diabetes

"Not so much"
The Bad One
The One That is Worse
The Pill One
The Adult One

It's a wonder the public is confused. I would be too; there was a time I was. Some of these are true terms for the disease and others are really just how people describe them. I find that the older generation uses the incorrect language more so than the younger. I also find that people who have had it for many years, usually Type 1, sometimes also use the old verbage, such as Juvenile Diabetes. I even find myself using that term sometimes, just to avoid confusion.

I find I don't mind explaining the differences to people. I figure it is one more person that will know. Spread the knowledge, right? I think that the people that have Type 2, along with the non Diabetics, are the most "confused" or "ignorant" Ignorant in a lack of knowledge sense. Not a rude or mean sense. If you talk to a Type 1 Diabetic, there is no explaining what so ever. Is this the doctor's not explaining the condition enough when people are diagnosed, in particular with Type 2? Not sure, but hopefully people will know more and more.

2 comments:

  1. It's very interesting to talk to old-schoolers who use the older terms, like JDF or juvenile or even brittle diabetes. Really, it's amazing to see all that has changed through the years and decades.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BRITTLE DIABETES!! I forgot that one! Thats a big one. Our docs even use that one

    ReplyDelete