Friday, February 25, 2011

Patience and Communication

I recently started realizing how lucky I am. I have been reading a lot online about having a diabetic in the family and how the family members deal with it. How they deal with all of the mood swings, high sugars and low, and care that goes into being a diabetic. I even read how one lady was frustrated because her husband wasn’t open with her about his everyday care and numbers. It made her frustrated and worried, not knowing the details, and not knowing if he was okay that day. I can’t imagine this. Vince and I are the complete opposite. We tell each other everything that is going on in our lives. He allows me to be the nosiest wife in the world. I can tell you his numbers from the time he wakes up, to the time he goes to bed, and even through the night. I can usually tell the doctors his laundry list of medications quicker than he can open his mouth. He allows me to be so involved that his doctors all know me by name and let me tell you, this makes his care so much easier. They know me just as well as they know him, so I can always stop by their office to pick up a prescription or supplies for him without 20 questions as to who I am and why I am there. I can’t imagine a world where he wouldn’t clue me in on what is going on and allow me to help him. Maybe it is because he has other disabilities that cause him to need assistance with? Such as poor vision to see his pump display if he doesn’t have his glasses handy. Or his chronic pain that prevents him from doing a lot of the everyday care? I look back to before his complications started. I was pretty involved from the beginning, however, I do think I am more so now, than then. Even a few of Vince’s doctors comment on how easy going he is, and how “well behaved” of a diabetic he is. I guess a lot of diabetics have problems with keeping an even mood, with everything going on with the chemicals inside their bodies, but Vince is pretty easy going. He knows what needs to be done will be done and doesn’t give it much thought. This is probably one of the upsides of him being diagnosed at such a young age. He has never known anything different. I am just so lucky to have a patient and understanding husband. It makes a difficult world a little bit easier.

2 comments:

  1. Sandy,
    I truly love your blog. It makes me feel a lot better about my situation. I have a type 2 husband who will be insulin dependent shortly. He is very good about taking care of his diabetes but he is finally in the end stages of his pancreas finally giving out. I read so many places about wives not wanting to do everything for their husbands because the husbands are not doing what is needed. I am a wife like you. I know everything about David's illness. I go to every appointment with him and keep track of everything for him. I even did all of the research for the new drug (victoza) they are trying on him. I think your husband is very lucky to have you just like you are very lucky to have a great husband.

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Angela! You truly understand us. I am glad to hear there is another overprotective wife out there like me ;)

    ReplyDelete