Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Time For Some Fun!

I am excited to be planning a few trips in the upcoming days and months. We could really use some time to get away and relax. We haven’t been on vacation since our honeymoon, 5 ½ years ago to Las Vegas, other than a few trips to the shore.

A good friend of ours has a house in Ocean Grove, NJ. She invited us to come along for the ride one weekend and stay as short or long as we would like. It was so sweet of her to offer. She knows we could use a relaxing day and we have never been there so it sounds like it will make for an nice day. This part of the shore, she said, isn’t like the normal boardwalk and beach. It’s an older town with lots of shops and restaurants. I will have to go online and see what is there! Sounds nice! Best part is I don’t think I will have to do the driving which is a break in and of itself. I have to drive all the time when we are in the car, and sometimes I want to just put my head back and relax! It’s the little things…

Also, if plans work out, we are going to go to Tennessee to visit some family near Nashville. We don’t get to see them often so it will be great to get away for a long weekend and visit with them. We will also get to sightsee in Nashville as well! They are aware that Vince has limitations and already said whatever we need/want to do, just let them know. They are some of the sweetest people we know. We feel very comfortable visiting them knowing they will be understanding if we have to cut a day short and relax back at the house or any other inconvenience that might arise due to Vince’s limitations. We have had family in the past that were not as understanding about his limitations and inconveniences, so we are excited to visit with them knowing we will be able to fully enjoy ourselves and our time with them.

Of course there is a draw back. We are in Pennsylvania. They are in Tennessee. That means either a very long car ride or a plane ride. Although I was a frequent flyer while growing up, the older I am, the more I hate the idea. I actually avoid flying at all costs. But that leaves the car ride. Due to Vince’s Neuropathy, he can’t take long car rides. About 2 hours one way is his max and that is pushing it at that. So I will be getting myself on a plane. Again, I have flown lot’s in my day. When I was young, I lived in Texas and would visit my family in Pennsylvania multiple times a year. I flew alone each time, from the age of 10 to 17 years old. It was no big deal to me then. But as I got older, I got more scared. Vince however never had his first flight until he was about 24 or so. We went with a friend of his to Texas to visit my family and a friend they had down there. He loved it! He has only flown a handful of times since then and he still loves it. Me, not so much. We are planning our trip for November which is over 2 months away and I am already anxious, but the short flight will be worth it to see family and get away for a few days.

We haven’t flown since Vince started on his insulin pump and CGM so that will definitely be different for us. We will have to pack even more supplies than before when he was on shots. I am thinking a small suitcase will have to be used just for this purpose. I know, crazy, isn’t it? Then you have the whole security issue at the airport. When he was on shots, it was no big deal. We showed all of the supplies, medications, and needles at the security check point and they waved us right through. This time however, he will have the pump and CGM attached to his body so it won’t be as easy. Hopefully, if we plan well, it will go smoothly.

But needless to say, I am so excited to go away!!!! I can’t wait to take tons of pictures and spend a few days doing nothing but fun things!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete