Friday, August 30, 2013

A Passion and A Dream

I remember when I was little. I was watching the movie "The Baby Sitters Club" I remember seeing one girl in the movie who's character had Diabetes. There was a scene with her hiking while on a date with a boy, and she got low and needed to eat. That was the extent of any explanation of Diabetes in the movie, but I remember it caught my interest. I thought, "wow, she has diabetes!" and for some reason I took an interest in it. I didn't think about it or do anything with that interest from that point on.

Now, as an adult who manages and deals with a Diabetic husband, learning about Diabetes care and management has become a passion of mine (along with Crocheting!) I often think back to this movie and wonder if I always had this passion and maybe I just didn't realize? Why did I take an interest in that character? I don't know.

Why is it my passion today? I am a caregiver by nature. I am nurturing and caring and that comes out in Diabetes management. I strive to make sure Vince gets the best possible care and the best possible resources in order to keep up that care. I think he feeds off this as well.

I never went to college when I graduated High School. High School was difficult for me as I am not a fast learner. I had very little interest in college and had no idea what I wanted to do with my work life. Looking, back, I know what I would do. I would love to be a Diabetes Educator. I recently looked in to this field, knowing I would fly through the schooling with the knowledge I already have, but was disappointed to see that a Diabetes Educator is actually a sub category of nursing. Nursing school is expensive and is not easy. If I ever made the choice to go to school, I would definitely chose the medical field.

When I was young, I was terrified of needles, blood, and anything involving the two. I would cry for days even BEFORE I got an immunization. It's funny how people change and their fears change. I would never have guessed in a million years that I would want to go into the medical field. That it would be my "dream job" For now, I am content with working at Comcast. We have extremely good benefits and it is a very large company to feel stable in. Well, as stable as you can get nowadays in this economy.

But should the opportunity arise, I would definitely consider becoming a Diabetes Educator, or "CDE" Certified Diabetes Educator. I feel I would have a lot of compassion and understanding and be able to empathize with the patients and really be able to help educate them and help them lead a healthy Diabetic life.

It's a dream. You never know what the future holds. Maybe one day!

1 comment:

  1. Sandy
    It is great to have a dream -- a goal
    I have never had one
    I honestly don't know what I would do if I could choose anything at all
    it occurred to me today that I have been so bored for a long time -- I have had great moments, fabulous opportunities -- but they only last a moment -- is this what I wanted out of my life?
    really I just don't know
    there is no gut-level desire such as you describe
    I admire you
    Keep it up
    one never knows what the future brings
    tom's wife

    ReplyDelete