Sunday, April 10, 2011

What A Weekend

What a weekend. So stressful. Friday, Vince's sugar began to rise and it seemed no matter how much insulin we pumped, it wouldn't go down. As I posted, at 3:30AM that morning it dawned on me that there could be a problem with his site, so I changed it out. We thought his sugar began to come down, but it didn't last too long. It began to soar upward again. He started to feel sick from the sugar being so high. When we were able to get it down, it dropped fast and the raised back up just as fast. Throughout the day on Saturday, he bolused about every two hours in hopes it would come down. By evening, I asked him if we should try changing the site one more time. He agreed, so I got a brand new vial of Novolog from the refrigerator, and put his site towards his back this time, away from any possible scar tissue from all of the needles in his belly. Once we did this, his sugar remained high but not nearly as elevated as before. We decided to give it the night to see what happened before calling the doctor for help. Again I woke up at 3:30AM, not sure what is with that hour, and Vince was up with me. I was checking his sensor about every 3-5 minutes to see if his sugar was raising fast or just staying steady at a high level. We could see slight improvement, so we just kept an eye on it until morning. I called his doctor this morning and explained what had been going on, and the site changes we had done. He agreed we had done everything possible and that it must be an absorption issue. He recommended trying the lower back again or even the thigh or upper rear. Another option he gave us was using a temp basal rate of 125% for about 8 hours to see if we can control it. He asked if we have any flex pens and needles and i said yes. He said if all else fails, we can try that. As the day is going on, his sugar is running in the upper 100's now, which is still high but I think we are starting to get it under control. How stressful. The more hours that passed with his sugar running 200-300's, both of us kept thinking about his eyes. We both know, if his sugars are uncontrolled for any period of time, the blood vessels could start to leak again, and that would mean trouble. Luckily, I think we have it under control with the new site area. He has always used his belly, but he said next time we change the site, he agreed to try the upper thigh and see how that works. We have to be careful since that could hurt his leg and set off his neuropathy pain. It's worth a try though. I think I need a weekend to recoup from my long weekend of stress and interrupted sleep. I am just glad that we did everything we could and that it is starting to come down again.


  1. Sandy, for Tom, it was always 2 am
    I remember those times
    it was night after night after night
    never enough sleep
    as it wore on, it wore me down
    maybe that's when I started getting angry at Tom
    it seems like you are part of Vince's care
    Tom would not let me help him
    I would try and he would not allow me
    so I gave up
    Is being part of the solution better than just having to stand by and call the paramedics when it got too bad?
    I don't know
    but I really admire you for taking such good care of Vince
    just remember to take care of yourself once in awhile
    otherwise you won't be there to take care of him!

    Good luck, and hopefully you will get some sleep soon.

  2. Tom's Wife said it better than I ever could. I wish you both the best.

    Love, S

  3. Thais so much guys, it means so much to me to hear your kind words. I am not good at taking time for myself, something I need to work on...I can't imagine not being part of Vince's care. Even with the two of us on top of things, things still get missed and messed up.....also my long weekend ended with a trip to the ER. I'll post all about it later. Xoxoxo

  4. Sandy,
    So sorry you still ended up in the ER! You must be so exhausted right now. Do be good to yourself today . . .

  5. argh. so sorry to hear about it. its rough. and the constant stress of thinking about it, and watching it for hours on end... i hear you loud and clear. hope things are sorted.